Joyce killed one of her chickens today for our dinner. I’m wondering how often she does that. She has maybe 12 of them left. We had that and sorghum for dinner. I think she used most of the chicken…not sure about organs, but I had a lot of fatty pieces on my plate. They are running low on food. The loaf of bread is gone—only lasted about 3 days. The cereal bars are about gone, and so are 3 of the 4 cartons of milk. I’m wondering how often Joyce goes to the store.
Boipelo, my 18-year-old sister, texted me a message this evening, begging me to buy her airtime so she could talk to someone (her girlfriend, I think). I had to tell her no—although I can afford it where do you draw the line? I bought a thank you gift to give them on my first day, and I plan on baking something on Saturday. I want to do more, but I don’t know if it’s ok to or not. My [real] mom is sending me a box of stuff to give them. Will that set a precedence for future students they will host??? Probably will. Boipelo can’t afford the 20 pula registration fee to retake her exam to try to go to university. Should I provide the means for her to go to college? Joyce wants 2 more freezers and also to travel to SA to buy second-hand clothes to sell. Should I give her the means so she can support her family? I believe she is married, but I don’t think the dad every comes around, and I doubt he’s financially supporting the family.
My mom, Joyce, on the left, helping at a funeral
It’s a humbling experience living with this family—and I’m not even here much---just at night and only for a week. After my stay, I still don't think I'll have a grasp on what this family's life is really like. Sometimes I think they say stuff to make me feel bad for them...hoping I'll get/buy them what they need. And if I CAN then should I? Jesus would? Or would He?!? I really donj't know. What I should do is look to the Bible and pray for guidance. It's hard, but definitely a challenge that is good for me to experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment