Friday, February 19, 2010

So Many Feelings

Some of my friends!


It’s nearing the end of the week and also the days of homesickness. I’m traveling to Mozambique next week, so excitement from that trip must be helping. At the beginning of this week, I went through a lot of emotions…sadness—for my Mochudi family and also because I missed home…frustration—with the even greater attention I was receiving from the Mocudi locals, also with the financial situation of my Mochudi family…anxiety—about a hard 2 weeks before our break. With the week in Mochudi almost over (although last night Sophie and I stayed in Gabs—I had a 7-9pm P. Chem lab this morning) and one test down, these feelings have decreased. I still have quite a lot to do for school, but I know if I work hard on those things this weekend, I should be ok. I have a presentation for HIV/AIDS on Monday, a P. Chem test Tuesday, and a bunch of CIEE stuff due Thursday. Also my weekly lab report due Friday. Plus, my Mochudi mom, Joyce, is expecting me to bake on Saturday. SO I need to first lok up a recipe and then hit the store for ALL necessary ingredients, which may include some bakeware/tools.


Joyce’s uncle killed himself last Monday, so there may be a funeral this weekend. Apparently, he tried to kill his girlfriend with an ax, [unknowingly] failed at that, and killed himself. These so-called “passion-killings” are actually quite common here—scary—and strange—and SAD.

Skyped Mom and Dad last night! It was great! I really miss them, and home, and America!

1 comment:

  1. Allie
    It was great talking to you on Skype. We all went to Daylight Savings Time today. Do you have that there?

    I am in awe of the experience you are having. I guess this is why you go there. To live with people unlike yourself to understand their lives. You will see things different forever after this.

    Can't wait to see you. I have you signed up for Ragbrai!
    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete