I can't tell you how grateful I am that my sister, Megan, is ALIVE. She just arrived in the DR, but has been in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, and was there when the earthquake hit. She was there with a small group from Columbia University's SIPA (school of international and public affairs) program and had left the UN building just 20 mintues before it collapsed. She was in a vehicle when the quake hit...luckily not in a building. She helped take care of wounded people and saw several die. I'm sure she was a help and could use her Creole to give information and calm people down. I woke up Thursday morning to see the news of the earthquake...when I heard the word Haiti, I started to panic and I got even more worried when they said the UN headquarters was destroyed, with at least 16 UN officials dead. I prayed and prayed for Megan and watched the images on tv for about 30 minutes, looking for her and wondering what I could do to find out if she was alive. I had no internet connection at the time and decided to call home (12:30am CST) from my cell no matter the cost, and as I was leaving a message, my mom picked up. She told me Megan was ok...and I had an enormous feeling of relief.
Megan was helicoptered to the DR today and just booked a flight to NYC to arrive tonight. I am still worried for her...I was able to google chat with her for about 25 minutes just a little bit ago. It felt great to talk to her. I told her I can't even imagine the senses that she has experienced while in Haiti...the sights, sounds, smells, and feelings...just unbelievable. If anyone has seen the horrific images that are all over the news, you may get a small idea of the situation. But to BE there...truly unbelievable. She lost everything...does have her passport...and is wearing a suit and high heels; she gave her suit jacket away.
I know she is a very strong individual and will get through this. If you can please pray for her and all the others who are still in Haiti, it would mean so much. My parents are flying out to NYC as soon as they can, just to be with her. I think she needs to be around people right now...she needs some major support, so I am so happy my family will be with her. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I found out...reading the e-mails and newstories gives me the chills. Haiti is in major need of support right now, so if you have the resources please consider giving in any way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Allie. So good to hear from you thursday night. We are nyc with her now. Just getting up. Call when you can.
ReplyDeleteAllie! I'm so glad your sister is okay. I will be praying for her (and you) and everyone involved in Haiti - so sad... Miss you lots!!!
ReplyDelete