Sunday, January 31, 2010

Cultural Adjustments

It has been one month since I arrived in Gaborone. I’ve definitely gone through some of the stages of culture shock and am continuing to do so. Just this past week I had sort of a low couple days…was homesick for a little while, missed my family, and found it hard to think I am going to be away from home til August. However, my feelings have changed over the past couple of days and I’m now finding things [some of which I did not like at first] in Botswana that I know I’ll miss once my departure date arrives:


  • Combie public transport system
  • How people are always walking everywhere…starting at 5am
  • The slow walking pace
  • How babies are carried…wrapped in fabric around women’s backs
  • How some items are carried…on people’s heads
  • The value of the dollar here and the resulting low cost of things here
  • The hot weather
  • The conversation style here…much more laughing involved that I’m used to
  • The street vendors that sell candy and airtime
  • The availability of beautiful, African crafts
  • The amount of televised soccer and almost absent amount of basketball, football, and baseball
  • The fact that I am in AFRICA, and I am easily able to travel to countries I may never visit again in my lifetime

Now here are things I have yet to like and, as of now, don’t think I’ll miss when I leave:

  • The stares I get everywhere because of my skin color
  • The automatic target for pickpocketing
  • The assumption of wealth with white skin
  • No women wear shorts here…either pants or long skirts
  • The delay in movie releases in the theaters
  • The lack of entertainment and things to do in the city
  • How guys ask for my phone number and also my marital status on a daily basis
  • The lack of air conditioning, washing machines, and dishwashers
  • The absence of soap and toilet paper in almost every public bathroom

1 comment:

  1. Allie! I need to write you an email but I want you to know I have been following your blog! I laugh sometimes when you write things that I have noticed when I go to Jamaica and have become use to! It is so interesting how other cultures work! I am so glad you are staying as positive as possible and learning all sorts of new things! You are correct about one thing, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity so don't hold back and take every opportunity you have to try something new, even on a day where you are missing home! I love you and miss you! I will write an email in the next couple of days!
    -Leslie

    ReplyDelete