Thursday, January 21, 2010

Funny Tidbits

On the first night of my homestay, I was in my new room unpacking my things when I heard this loud bang on the roof and then something rolling in the grass. I have to tell you, my first thought was, “Oh no, the racist neighbor saw a white girl in the window and threw a grenade over the fence.” I quickly came out of my room and told Monkie what I had heard…and yes, also what I was thinking…she said “No, no, Allie. That is the murulo fruit that falls from the tree in our yard. Let me show you.” So she took me outside to show me the tree and the fruit that falls from it. I was gratefully relieved and we both laughed about it. Even today, though, I still am startled by the loud bang of the fruit falling on the roof. It sort of sounds like a baseball bat being banged on a trashcan…really loud!!! (There is also a dog that barks in three-bark patterns…every day...and it is really annoying!! He’ll bark three times…wait 3-4 seconds…bark three times…wait 3-4 seconds…bark three times…and continues this pattern for hours!!!)


Every morning I take a bath…it was a little awkward at first…but now I got it down. Washing my hair under the running water is the first step. Well, I normally check the water temp before this step, but one morning I failed to do so…it took me probably two full seconds to realize the scalding water on my scalp…two seconds too late. I could feel that I had truly burned my head…seriously. So, a few days after this happened I felt the top of my head and there were scabs there…gross!!! I definitely learned a lesson there…that will not happen again!

One morning I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth, and when I reached for the toothepaste on the windowsill, I knocked over the extra-large container of purple mouthwash...oops...the cap fell off, and it went all over the toilet, the wall, and the bathroom floor, including the rugs...great, I think as I run to my room to get a towel...the first week I'm here and I spill someone's mouthwash all over!  I wiped up as much as I could find, and tried to blot it out of the rugs, but the stench is so strong, I know the next person to walk by the bathroom will smell the minty aroma.  I feel so bad, but I tell Gale about it, because I know she will wonder about the smell.  She just smiles and says, "It's ok...no problem."  Whew...she wasn't upset at all...she is so sweet!  I still don't know whose mouthwash it is, but I was able to save about a tenth of the bottle.  I did go to the store to look for the same kind so I could buy a replacement, but they didn't have it.  I'll have to check somewhere else, because I feel so bad!  I can say now, though, that the smell is gone...or maybe I'm just used to it.




Here is a picture of a cool beetle (dead) I found in a fountain at the Main Mall...it is so cool!

1 comment:

  1. Allie, I feel so bad you burned your head...that is soooo bad. Did you lose any hair???? I wouldn't be surprised if you did. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete