The Shosholoza Meyl has just departed the Cape Town station, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the ride. It is so neat!!! It left on time, 12:30pm, so hopefully it will arrive in Joburg on time, 3:30pm--> tomorrow. I figured it would be neat experience and a great way for me to see more of this beautiful country. Megan and I were able to see some really gorgeous sights, but that was all in one area of the country. I think my favorite was Stellenbosch. That day was SO much fun. The drive around the Cape Peninsula (on the M4 and M6 highways) was also magnificent, especially on the west side in the Hout Bay and Chapman's Peak area. Also, the drive on the R44 on the east side of False Bay was just magnificent. The sky was so blue, the grass on the hills so green, the soil so orange, and the water so teal. Just gorgeous colors, and the sunny skies that day really helped to brighten everything up.
This train is a bit dodgier than I expected--and cheaper, too! When I had looked it up online (Premier Classe) there were pictures of elegant looking sleeping and dining cars, nice dishes and tablecloths...but that is NOT the same train I've just boarded. The train is purple and teal, as well as my compartment and it looks as if it's been through a lot--it's a bit beat up. (I think the Premier Classe train is no longer running, unfortunately.) But, I do have my own compartment and a nice little window to look out of. I had to buy 2 tickets to get my own compartment, but it was well worth the 820 rand. I did not want to be sharing with some stranger--it's a 27-hour trip! It was a good thing I packed some food, too, because I only have 20 rand, and they don't take credit cards...oops...I'll survive. I should buy some water though...I did forget to bring that.
I can't stop looking out the window. I was the main driver when we had the rental cars, so I didn't get to spend as much time as the passengers just looking out the windows. So far from my compartment window I've seen: several vineyards (such beautiful colors!), a group of boys playing cricket, several small herds of cattle, some of the informal settlements, a cute yellow lab-looking puppy, a guy rummaging through a heap of trash, school kids, homeless guys pushing their grocery carts full of belongings, and some very majestic-looking mountains! ...plus some guinea fowl, too :) I wish they would have given out a map of the route we're taking. It would have been nice to see where I am exactly.
Since Megan left on Thursday, she's arrived in Geneva for her internship with the UN. She says her apartment is great. She leaves for NY tomorrow and then Haiti on Saturday. She'll be there for 4 weeks--a long time. I hope she is able to work well in the environment there. I'm nervous and excited for her to return, but I'm confident she will make a big impact for both the UN and the Haitians while she is there.
It's pretty amazing I've done so much and still have so much more to do. I booked my flight to Cairo this morning. I leave June 27th--after the World Cup action--and return to Joburg on July 22nd, the day I fly back to the states!!! I was going to WWOOF (Willing Workers on Organic Farms), but then decided to forgo that and spend that time with Ally, Megan's college roommate, in Egypt. The farm I was going to work on was back down towards Cape Town in a town called Laingsburg. I need to e-mail the farm owners to let them know I won't be coming. It just didn't make sense to travel all the way back down to that area when I was going to go to Cairo from Joburg. Although it didn't cost anything to do the wwoofing, it would have cost some money to get there and also to get back to Joburg to fly to Cairo. I really hate backing out of something I've committed to, but I think the farm owners will understand.
I just want to add one more thought: There's no way I could be where I am right now with my parents. It costs a lot of money to do all this stuff--money that I don't have. I hope that I will be able to provide my children with opportunities like these. I have grown so much since January and have learned a lot about myself through all of my various experiences. I'm so thankful to my parents and to the Lord for this time to see just a small part of our amazing world.
I have caught the travel bug, haven't I?!? Will I ever to go to grad school?????? :)
Wednesday, June 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment