I lost my last CIEE buddy today :( Emma left me from Plettenberg Bay this morning around 9. She bussed to Cape Town and was then flying to Vietnam (via Dubai) to meet her boyfriend. We had travelled together ever since leaving Gabs on May 7th, so I was sad to see her leave. All of the other students are back in the states...I'm glad I'm not there yet. Megan joined Emma dn i on the 14th and since then we've done a lt of traveling. We had rented a car on arriving to Cape Town so we decided to eep it and drive ourselves along the southern coast of SA (on a route known as the Garden Route). So glad we drove ourselves--we were able to stop at whatever point we wanted and it was much more flexible that way.
Riding my ostrich at a farm in Oudtshoorn
Having that car allowed us to do some amazing things--everything from taking a cable car to the top of Table Mountain to doing wine tasting in Constantia. We also saw the Cape of Good Hope and the beautiful Kirstenbosch Gardens. But since leaving Cape Town on the 17th (after visiting Robben Island that morning) we have traveled through, and to, several towns. We visited Cape Agulhas, the southernmost point of Africa, and an ostrich farm in Oudtshoorn--where we rode ostriches!!! ...one of the funniest things I've ever done and seen--SO hilarious. The 3 of us dropped our car off in George and then bussed to Plett, all on the 19th. We stayed there for a night--a very cute town, but just not busy at all at this time of year. There were some really, really cute restaurants and shops, but no one was in any of them! But I bet things are very different in the summer months.
Tsitsikama National Park
Today friends of Megan and my Aunt Sally and Uncle Kim, Wilma and Basil, picked us up at our hostel. They brought along their youngest child, Natalie, who is the most adorable little girl. They stayed with our aunt and uncle over 13 years ago in Iowa, and I e-mailed them just to see if they would want to host us for a little bit, and if not, just meet us. I got the most welcoming response back and they said they would love to host us in St. Francis Bay. So, Megan and I put that into our plans and were very excited to meet them and to see another part of SA. They are just the nicest and most hospitable people, and we're so fortunate that our aunt and uncle had hosted them for one week so long ago.
On our way to St. Francis Bay, we went to the world's highest bungee jump (222m) right outside of Plettenberg Bay. Even though I wasn't planning on doing it, it made me nervous just to watch. I did the bungee at Vic Falls in Zambia, but I don't think I would ever do something like that again! After watching someone jump, we drove through the gorgeous Tsitsikama National Park, at lunch there, and took a short hike to a neat swing bridge. It was really pretty there, especially watching the waves crash up on the rocks.
We arrived at St. Francis Bay around 5pm, and Wilma and Basil had decided to put us up in Basil's parents' house, which is about 5 minutes from their house and about 30 seconds from the beach. It was such a lovely surprise--WAY beyond our expectations. As we were getting the tour, I could not believe that Megan and I were going to have this whole house to ourselves. It is a beautiful white-stuckoed house with a black thatched roof (actually, all the houses in St. Francis Bay has to be white with a black roof). The house is even named: Tamarisk...a type of flower. So, were were so grateful to be there for the next 5 days--it was pretty unbelievable. Plus, we have wi-fi!! ...such a luxury in SA. It is very rare to find free wi-fi.
We ate dinner at Wilma and Basil's house, met all of their kids, chatted a bit, and then were driven home. Tomorrow I'm going for a run, Megan and I are going to check out the village area (i.e. mail some postcards and get a cup of coffee). Then Wilma is going to show us around St. Francis Bay. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this cute town. All of the buildings, not only the houses are white with black roofs. Many of the people who live in SFB are retired South Africans, but there has been a trend for young families to move out of cities like Joburg and Pretoria and into smaller towns like this one, in order to be a part of a safer and more family-friendly community.
No comments:
Post a Comment