The lion that welcomed us to our campsite
So yesterday we drove into our campsite—we are literally in the middle of the delta! No barriers around our campsite to protect us from possible trespassers (i.e. herds of elephants, prides of lions, families of baboons). We have two guides with us and three other helpers, including a cook! On our drive in, we didn’t waste any time spotting some neat wildlife. Giraffes, lions (a male was just lying in the middle of the road!), elephants, impala, zebras, cape buffalo, spotted hyenas, and some cool birds (Egyptian goose and king fisher). It was a bumpy, and long, four-hour drive to get to our campsite—but the wildlife we saw was really amazing. My favorite was the adult elephant and her three babies. The littlest one…termed ‘Nugget’…was so cute. The cow gave us a little warning sign to show she was serious about protecting her babies…it was exciting!
We ate dinner last night—had kudu meat, noodles, and potatoes—really good; then we went to bed. Sophie, Jen, and I are sharing a tent. We slept so well and woke up at 5:45 this morning for our first game drive. It is so much colder here than I expected—did NOT pack warm clothes! Our [very dark] program director, Batsi, said he got heat rash during past trips to the delta…so I did not expect temperatures below 90°F, let alone 50! It was a good thing I purchased some sarongs in Tofo—make nice scarves and blankets!!! We saw some neat animals this morning, too…but the weather isn’t the best for animal-spotting. We saw wildebeests, zebras, baboons, vervet monkeys, giraffes, elephants, impala, tsesebes, red lechwes, hippos, and crocodiles. Hoping to still see hyenas and a pride of lions.
Pictures of some the wonderful wildlife:
Mother cow protecting her little nuggets
Tsessebe in action
Nice profile of a zebra
African fish eagle perched in the top of the tree
Impala grazing just next to a termite mound
The beautiful papyrus grass
Rare spotting of a cheetah
These cute birds (carmine bee-eater) would fly next to our vehicles as we drove;
may have thought we were a large animal
A giraffe trying to remain inconspicuous
We made it back to camp—luckily without me going to bathroom in my pants—kudu (or something) did NOT settle with me…I struggled to make it back to camp, even after going twice during the drive…one at a bathroom stop and one out in the weeds of the delta!! (We stopped to fix something in our vehicle and I couldn’t pass up the chance to go again.) Once we got back I went a third time…yikes…and sorry, too much information…but it was not pleasant! Sam, however, gave me some meds and they certainly helped--I was very grateful.
I felt better after a nap and at 3:30 I felt okay enough to go on our second drive of the day. We saw many of the same animals as this morning. We saw a lot of hippos (one completely out of water), three crocodiles, an elephant eating right by the road, a big group of baboons with babies (and even one humping another…gross), kudu, reed buck, water buck, some more impala (of course), and some nice birds—my favorites being the lilac-breasted roller, white-breasted bee eater, spoon bills, guinea fowl, and really large and majestic-looking African fish eagles.
We saw a good variety of animals today—especially considering the weather. It felt so great to ake a warm shower before diner. It’s been since Tuesday night (three days), so it was even extra special and appreciated.
It’s weird to think I’m here right now—in Africa in the middle of the Okavango Delta, camping so secluded all on our own with wild animals all around and able to walk through our campsite at any time. It’s pretty amazing that we’re seeing all these animals in their natural habitat. However awesome this experience is, though, I do feel bad driving around in our vehicle—exposing the animals to humans and polluting the air with our exhaust. What does our presence do to their behavior? We make them exert extra energy to get out of our way when we come through, so how does that impact their lives? It’s sad to think about these populations’ fates…not that the Delta is an extremely touristy place, but there has definitely been an impact on the habitat because of humans. Although we didn’t stay in an area that had permanent buildings in it, there are several lodges, restroom facilities, and even a landing strip—all things that required construction equipment and materials to be brought in…and disturbance to the natural environment and all the plants and animals and ecosystems contained.
I’m definitely not ready to go back to class on Monday. I really just want to go back to Tofo! Our next trip is to Namibia over Easter break. We have a four-day weekend and are going to the coastal town of Swakopmund. We will hopefully fly…to save time that we would otherwise lose from bussing…but it depends on the airfare.
Tomorrow we wake at 6 and go on an all-day game drive which includes a boat ride…more specifically, a mekoro ride. It is the traditional boat they have here—long and narrow boats that seat 3-4 people, and are made of wood and driven by someone who stands on the back to balance and propel the boat with a long stick…should be a unique experience! The delta is so beautiful…I’m excited to see a different part of it tomorrow. I expected less trees and more water here—with greater areas of grassland…but I think I may see that tomorrow, seeing as how we are going to a wetter area.
Great pictures, Al! I'm jealous of your safari adventure. It's on my bucket list. Glad to see you're making the most of your experiences there. Everything is in full bloom here in Iowa right now...a totally different kind of natural beauty compared to what you've seen. I'm really enjoying your blog because I think you've captured some of the little stories that you'd otherwise forget to mention after such a long journey. But, it also really makes me miss you!
ReplyDelete-Sara