Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Nice Day


Today was a very nice day—woke up at 7; went for a run and did some lunges, sit-ups, and pushups; then had some coffee and baked scones (while sweating profusely, let me add)—very relaxing in the morning—Monkie, Yao, Tsepe, and Gale all sleeping so I got some wonderful alone time in the kitchen. CNN playing in the family room—I just love the background noise of the news, (keeps me aware of the world outside Botswana). I packed up some of the scones and took them to Ani and Kaija at UB. The three of us then went to RIverwalk to work at Linga Longa and use their nice wi-fi. I was able to send out some e-mails and post some blog entries! Got a start on my P. Chem lab report—did NOT get to the physics I meant to get to. I skipped my tutorial last week (first one I’ve missed) and later found out I had missed a quiz…oops. I don’t know if I should try to make it up or not. I’m a little behind in that class.  I found all the lecture notes online, so I stopped going to class—I’m beginning to think that’s not a great plan, though. We’ll see if I’m able to teach myself the material—if I don’t get on top of it this week, I’ll start attending lectures again. I need to do well in this class for grad school…but it is so difficult to stay up with my studies here.


Monkie made a great dinner tonight…Gale went home to visit her 2-year-old grandson. After playing a game of Uno with Yao and Tsepo, the four of us ate Monkie’s meal mutton curry, broccoli/cauliflower, spinach/onion/tomato, and rice. It was really good! Monkie then went to her room and we cleaned up everything. (Yao served her ice cream in bed, also…not an uncommon occurrence in the household.) Gale came home later and ate some of Monkie’s cooking—rare for her to eat the food someone else has prepared.

Tomorrow morning I’m going to Café Dijo for breakfast (I think I’m skipping HIV/AIDS). It’s this café right by my house—outside Game City Mall—and I went there on Friday with Ani, Kaija, and Sophie. There were no Batswana [customers] in the whole place…sort of weird…and I actually felt uncomfortable with all of the white people. But it was sort of comforting as well, because no one there stared at me like they do everywhere else. So, I’m going tomorrow morning for some coffee and to try their breakfast! I’ll then make it to UB by noon for my chemistry lecture. Well, I’m actually going to aim for 11:00—I’d like to give Batsi a thank-you gift for all he’s done for us so far, and Sophie and I are going to talk to him about our trip to Namibia over Easter break. I’m giving him four movie vouchers for his and his family. We have a four-day weekend and need some advice on the best way to get there. I want to fly because it would save us the most time, but I don’t know if the cost is worth it. I’m really looking forward to this trip, though we’re going all the way to the coast—most likely to Swakopmund—which is a LONG way. The sand dunes there look so beautiful—and I can’t wait to be by the water again. I’ll finally be able to see a welwitschia, too!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment