Thursday, November 19, 2009

Starlings

Since September, I have been watching the roosting patterns of starlings (pictured).  I am doing a research project on preferential roosting positions, and am planning on publishing these results in an ornithology journal...which would be a really really big deal.




Check out this Starling link to see the mesmerizing and incredible flying patterns: starlings.

I've probably been out to watch the starlings around 50 times.  Although I am much more used to the spectacle, I still am amazed every time I go.  I don't think I'll ever look at a flock of birds the same way!




The way these birds fly is one of the neatest things I've ever seen.  They group together and make flocks that act like fluids in the sky.  My research partner and I think they look like ocean currents...and make us feel like we're underwater...haha...we're pretty nerdy :)  They create shapes and movements that are so unique and mesmorizing....and they never crash into one another.  We are currently working on the statistical analysis of all the data we've collected.  Then we have a presentation and paper to do.  Look for our research in future ornithology journals!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog. And now you are in Botswanna. Who knew the day you went into the study abroad fair you would end in in Africa. I hope it is a great experence for you!

    ReplyDelete